Well, this bunch of questions is rather interesting! Thanks for still bothering to leave your thoughts - good or bad, I really appreciate them :)Dear Bombastarr, I'm not very confident about the way i look and the way i project myself, even in speech, writing, or just in regular situations. Help!I don't actually know how to answer this without using cliches, since I'm sure you've heard them a lot of times. But one thing I can tell you is that sometimes you just have to fake it - fake that you're not scared of reporting in front of a large class, fake that you're not secretly quivering in fear while talking to your crush, fake that you're super confident about standing up to your professor - they might believe it, and maybe you just might too :)
Dear Bombastarr, who is the best professor you'ver ever had? And what are your best subjects that you can recommend even for someone who is not from cw or cal?Modesty aside, I really think our department has some of the best professors in the field and I'm more than grateful to have been one of their students. Most of my favorite subjects were taught by the best profs, and I think that's hardly surprising. Off the top my head: Dr. Jose Dalisay Jr. (Fiction, Professional Writing), Dr. Wilhelmina Ramas (Shakespeare), Dr. Neil Garcia (Gay Literature, Philippine Literature, Creative Nonfiction; incidentally he's also my thesis adviser), Paolo Manalo (Thesis; but he's also an award-winning poet), Dr. Anton Juan (critically-acclaimed playwright), Dr. Nonilon Queano (Playwriting, Literary Criticism), Dr. Conchitina Cruz (Nonfiction and poetry), Arnel Galang (English literature), Dr. Rhodora Ancheta (American literature), Dr. Judy Ick (Shakespeare; but she was my Eng11 prof), Sandra Roldan (Creative Nonfiction). Two others from the Department of Filipino: Dr. Rosario Lucero (Philippine lit), and Dr. Rosario Yu (Children's lit).
Ang dami pala!For someone who is not from CAL, CW100 (Intro to CW) offers a good sampling of Fiction, Poetry, and Nonfiction for beginners. English 23 (Shakespeare) is always an experience, but you must be prepared to do a lot of reading (sans SparkNotes!). CW198 (Professional Writing) is something that I think everyone should take as an elective because it not only teaches you about resume- and application-letter writing, it also provides techniques on more "real-world" writing (aka non-literary/artistic writing that pays) such as news, brochures, AVP scripts, speeches, press releases, marketing letters, etc. CL184 (Gay Literature) is also one of my favorites! Although I don't think the department still offers it.
Hi Karla, I just wanted to say that I really like reading your blog entries. It's something different than all those tumblr blogs I've been seeing lately where people rarely ever say anything, they just keep posting pictures of clothes or shoes and it's kinda annoying sometimes. Glad to know there are still bloggers like you who care to write for their readers. :DTo each his own, I guess. Some people post pictures because that's their way of showing a piece of themselves to the world. I guess words are all I've got to put out there. I'm glad there are people like you who appreciate it, Anon :)
Dear Bombastarr, you're not as pretty as people say you are. You're so annoying.I don't think so too, honestly! I have a lot of off-days :)) And you're free to leave any time if you find me so annoying. :)
Dear Bombastarr, i think you are a very shallow person. does your life only revolve around school and your boyfriend and your problems?
How sure are you it's my entire life that you're reading about in this blog?
Dear Bombastarr, i noticed you never write anything other than yourself? and you consider yourself a writer? writers go out there and see the world. you're just looking at the mirror all the time. although, okay, fine, you are a pretty decent writer. but not the best, definitely.First of all, despite the years I've spent on this blog, it doesn't contain even a tenth of who I am in real life. Sure I give you glimpses, but this is not me - this is not all of me. So I'm afraid you can't judge me just based on what's written here. Second, how can you be so sure that I never write about anything other than myself? I'm majoring in a course that requires us to write - I doubt I would be able to survive if all I ever talk about is myself. When I was fifteen, I created this just for the sole purpose of writing about myself and my life, which is self-indulgent really (and aren't most personal blogs supposed to be that way?) but I never set out to become famous or prove myself a great writer by writing on this blog. Sure this blog is all mine, but this isn't everything I am.
Where are the rest of your On My Bedside Table books? I'm really looking forward to them.
Soon, hopefully! I'm looking forward to posting them too - I really want to share the best books I read last year. :)