Dear Bombastarr, what's the book that made you think/decide you want to be a writer?
I remember reading
"Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli in Grade 6 and thinking to myself how sad it was that it was the issue of conformity that doomed Leo and Stargirl's relationship. But the more I pick it up and read it again over the years, I realized its magic really rests on the tragic simplicity of everything - from the quiet blossoming of their (non)friendship, to the uncomplicated explanation from Leo's point of view. It was such a straightforward, undemanding novel, but it was gripping. It's like an expanded version of "Araby" and "The Bread of Salt" which are two of my favorite short stories :) I still consider it one of the most influential books I've read in my life.
Dear Bombastarr, Striptease PE??? Seryoso ba yan??? What do you do there??? Wow!Yep! Only in UP ;) We dance, sway our hips, crawl on the floor and whip our hair :>
Dear Bombastarr, wow. I was the one who asked about Lolita, I tried reading it but I only got through page 8. Maybe I should read it again. Haha. -KaisaYou should! It will give you the chills - the good kind! And the lyricism of Nabokov's words is really something to take a cue from. You also might want to check out the film adaptation starring Jeremy Irons! (He's my old man crush, heehee) It's the most faithful to the novel, I believe.
Dear Bombastarr,a nineteen-year-old college junior who gets by the hard life at UP with a pen in hand, and an ice cream cone in the other??? Bakit pag nakikita kita wala namang ICE CREAM? HAHAHA! :)) -- Trisha
It's either hindi mo lang ako nakikitang may ice cream or hindi talaga tayo nagkikita at all! Hahaha! Uy, date na tayo! :P
Dear Bombastarr, I've read a few NVM Gonzales and Nick Joaquin. But all I remember is The Bread of Salt hahaha so cute! I'll try to find a copy of that short story you're writing. How about Paz Marquez Benitez?
"The Bread of Salt" is such a lovely story, really. I cannot not adore it. Paz Marquez Benitez is also one of the very, if not the most, influential Filipina short story writer. You should read her "Dead Stars." Classic.